Government Affairs Committee
Chair: Jimmy Townsend - Townsend Real Estate
(Email Jenny@FayBiz.com if interested in serving on this Committee or for more information.)
The Government Affairs Committee is a group of chamber business members that advise the board on adopting public policy positions and assist with advocacy efforts. It provides a forum for chamber members to track, research, and discuss important public policy issues. The committee drafts positions that are consistent with the organization’s values, principles and policies as established by the board of directors.
Committee membership is open to all chamber members in good standing. Members are selected by the committee chairman. The chairman is the primary advisor to the board of directors on public policy issues.
The Government Affairs Committee meets monthly, on the third Wednesday of each month at 4 pm, but may be called upon to assemble should a particularly pressing policy issue arise. Members of the committee are chosen to serve one year terms, July to June Fiscal Year; the Chair of the Committee is selected by the Chairman of the Board.
The primary functions of a chamber Government Affairs Committee are:
- To monitor, analyze and prioritize public policy issues which impact chamber members and the greater business community.
- To recommend to the executive committee and/or the board of directors, policy positions regarding local, state and federal legislation and proposed regulations.
- To prioritize business policy issues that may require special attention by the chamber.
- To prepare plans of action for the chamber staff and volunteers to participate in the government, community, business, media and other arenas to achieve action on the policy positions adopted by the chamber.
- To assist the chamber in developing and maintaining positive relationships with local, state and federal officials.