Courthouse Naming 09/20/2017September 06, 2017FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 29, 2017
Contact: Sally Shutt, Assistant County Manager
Public Invited to Courthouse Naming Ceremony on
FAYETTEVILLE – The Board of Commissioners will host a dedication ceremony to mark the naming of the Cumberland County Courthouse in memory of Superior Court Judge E. Maurice Braswell. The ceremony will be held in the courtyard at the front entrance of the building, located at 117 Dick St.
The Board of Commissioners unanimously voted to name the Courthouse for Braswell, whose name was installed Aug. 17 above the Cumberland County Courthouse lettering on the front of the building. A bronze plaque will be unveiled during the Sept. 20 ceremony and will be installed inside the front entrance.
The dedication ceremony will coincide with the 240th Anniversary Celebration of the Cumberland County Superior Court. The Cumberland County Bar Association and the Twelfth Judicial District Bar will host the anniversary celebration, which starts at in the Historic Courthouse at 130 Gillespie St., across from the Judge E. Maurice Braswell Cumberland County Courthouse.
Braswell died after more than 50 years as a public servant. He was a decorated World War II veteran and prisoner of war. Braswell was born in 1922 in Rocky Mount. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps at 19 and became an aerial gunner. Braswell’s plane was shot down in 1944 and he was captured and taken as a POW for several months.
Braswell earned his law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and opened his legal practice in Fayetteville in 1950. He was later hired as the assistant solicitor, or what is known today as Assistant District Attorney. Braswell served as an assistant solicitor, solicitor, superior court judge, judge of the court of appeals and special emergency superior court judge.
Braswell was instrumental in the construction of the Courthouse, which opened in 1978. He recognized the need for more space for the effective administration of justice in 1968 and presented a pamphlet to the board of commissioners explaining the need for a new courthouse. The building proposal was approved in 1975, and Braswell worked on the Courthouse Construction Advisory Committee.
In May, Senior Resident Superior Court Judge James Ammons Jr. and Cumberland County Register of Deeds Lee Warren presented a petition to commissioners requesting the courthouse bear Braswell’s name. The petition was signed by Cumberland County law enforcement and court officials.
Click here to watch a video about Judge Braswell.